Board of Overseers of the Bar v. Stanley E. Sproul
Download Download Decision (PDF)
Docket No.: BAR#16-6
Issued by: Maine Supreme Judicial Court
Date: February 22, 2016
Respondent: Stanley E. Sproul, Esq.
Bar Number: 001810
Order: Receiver Appointment
Disposition/Conduct: Receiver Appointment
Upon Petition submitted by the Board of Overseers of the Bar, pursuant to M. Bar R. 32, the Court Orders:
As of this date, Lester F. Wilkinson, Jr., Esq., is appointed the Receiver of the law practice of Stanley E. Sproul. Attorney Lester F. Wilkinson, Jr., shall:
- secure the professional files, client property and client data of Attorney Sproul;
- obtain access to all safe deposit boxes and other facilities in which office or client property is stored;
- inventory the client files;
- confer with Special Bar Counsel regarding publication of a notice to former clients retrieval of files;
- if any evidence of any client trust or IOLTA accounts is found, Lester F. Wilkinson, Jr., shall immediately confer with Special Bar Counsel regarding reconciling and closing any such account.
- address any conflicts of interest pursuant to M. R. Prof. Cond. 6.5. Any files identified by the Receiver as presenting a conflict of interest shall be transferred to Special Bar Counsel of the Overseers of the Bar, or his designee;
- preserve and protect confidential information of the clients of Attorney Sproul pursuant to M. R. Prof. Cond. 1.6;
- allow himself or members of his law firm to be engaged by any former client of Attorney Sproul provided that he informs such client in writing that the client is free to choose to employ any attorney, and that this Order of Appointment does not mandate or recommend the Receiver's employment by the client. A client's retention of Mr. Wilkinson or a member of his firm is not a per se conflict of interest solely by reason of this Appointment Order;
- act as Receiver until discharged by the Court either by Motion or in accordance with M. Bar R 32(c); and
- submit to the Court a record of hours worked and disbursements made in the event payment of legal fees at the State court appointment rate, if such compensation is requested.
It is further Ordered Attorney Wilkinson shall be protected from liability for professional services rendered in accordance with this Order pursuant to M. Bar Rule 32(e).
The Clerk is directed to incorporate this Order on the docket by reference.
Dated: February 22, 2016
Donald G. Alexander
Maine Supreme Judicial Court