Board of Overseers of the Bar v. William B. Cote
Download Download Decision (PDF)
Docket No.: BAR 13-20
Issued by: Maine Supreme Judicial Court
Date: December 19, 2014
Respondent: William B. Cote
Bar Number: 002892
Order: Receiver Discharge Order
Disposition/Conduct: Discharge of Receiver
THIS MATTER having been heard by the undersigned Justice of the Court, upon the motion of the Receiver herein for an order discharging the Andrucki & Associates firm as Receiver of the law practice of William B. Cote, the Court ORDERS as follows:
- Andrucki & Associates, Receiver of the law practice of William B. Cote, has taken all reasonable steps to discharge the firm's obligations as Receiver of the law practice of William B. Cote, to return all client files, and to disburse all funds in William B. Cote's operating and trust accounts.
- Andrucki & Associates is entitled to reasonable compensation for services rendered and for reimbursement of expenses incurred while serving as Receiver. The amount of reimbursement is $1,600.15, and compensation shall occur through retention of the three law office computers currently in the possession of the Receiver.
- By March 1, 2015 the Board of Overseers shall be responsible to maintain in storage those client files that have not yet been retrieved by the clients of William B. Cote. Until that time, the files shall remain at the law office of Shankman &Associates in Lewiston, Maine. In that regard, the Court appreciates Attorney Shankman's assistance to the bar and to Mr. Cote's clients. Following the Overseers' relocation of the files, it shall maintain a record of its costs for storage and maintenance of those client files.
- Likewise, the Court acknowledges the valuable service Andrucki & Associates has performed, thanks them for their generous efforts and extends its sincere appreciation for agreeing to assist Mr. Cote, the bar and the public.
Accordingly, it is hereby ORDERED:
- Andrucki & Associates is discharged as Receiver of the law practice of William B. Cote effective immediately.
- The Board of Overseers shall maintain in storage (prior to any permitted destruction) those client files that have not been retrieved by the clients of William B. Cote. The Board shall be reimbursed for its costs/expenses with funds due to or received on behalf of Mr. Cote.
- The Receiver is authorized to retain $1,600.15 of the funds in the IOLTA and operating accounts as reasonable compensation for its service as Receiver for the law practice of William B. Cote and reimbursement for expenses incurred by Andrucki & Associates while serving as Receiver of Mr. Cote's law practice. Furthermore, the Receiver is authorized to retain the three office computers currently in the possession of the Receiver as additional compensation for services.
- Mr. Cote shall be personally responsible for repayment of any outstanding debts in his name.
- The Board of Overseers shall hold in trust any remaining funds (in or due to the operating and IOLTA accounts) of William B. Cote. The Board shall continue to hold such funds until January 2018, unless otherwise ordered by the Court.
Joseph M. Jabar, Associate Justice
Maine Supreme Judicial Court