Board of Overseers of the Bar v. Nicholas Bull, Esq.
Download Download Decision (PDF)
Docket No.: BAR-20-007
Issued by: Maine Supreme Judicial Court
Date: September 2, 2020
Respondent: Nicholas Bull, Esq.
Bar Number: 001030
Order: Receiver Appointment
Disposition/Conduct: Receiver Appointment
M. Bar R. 32
Upon consideration of Petition filed by the Board of Overseers of the Bar (Board), the Court Orders the following:
As of this date, Adrian Kendall, Esq., is appointed as the Receiver of Nicholas Bulls law practice. As such, the Receiver shall have the sole authority to:
- secure any professional files, client property, and client data of Attorney Bull;
- inventory client files;
- give priority to client matters that may be identified as open, active, and apparently time sensitive;
- notify former clients that the law practice has concluded and provide opportunity for those clients to retrieve their property;
- assist clients with any active matters in their efforts to obtain new counsel;
- if necessary, provide notice of appointment to all courts and relevant state and county agencies; and
- if necessary, reconcile any IOLTA, client, or office accounts.
As a service to the bar, Attorney Kendall shall serve as Receiver on a pro bono basis, although if there are sufficient assets (including receivables) from Bulls law practice, the Receiver may be reimbursed from those assets. Likewise, the Receiver shall submit an itemized list of any disbsursements made to effect the terms of this Order. Attorney Bull shall be the first choice for source of payment for those disbursements. If insufficient assets are available from the law office, the Board of Overseers may be an alternative payment source for expenses related to the law office closure.
Attorney Kendall shall act as Receiver until discharged by the Court either by Motion or in accordance with M. Bar R. 32. The Receiver, so appointed, shall not disclose any information contained in any file listed in the inventory without the consent of the client to whom such file relates except as may be necessary to carry out an order of court including any order under M. Bar R. 32.
Attorney Kendall shall be protected from liability for professional services rendered in accordance with this Order.
Finally, within one-hundred and twenty (120) days of this Order, the Receiver shall file a status report with the Court.
Dated: September 2, 2020
E. Mary Kelly
Sitting as Single Justice as designation